Exploring GMSGadget and The People Behind It!
This century marks the era of the electronics boom all over the world, as the demand for electronic products is ever rising through each quarter. Entrepreneurs in the field of electronics face tough competition with each other and not everybody is made for the game.
In the Ecommerce industry, with big giants like Flipkart, Snapdeal, Amazon, etc. there is one man trying to beat the odds with pure dedication and passion. By paving his way through the system and reaching out to his customers, he has created a trust base around his brand like never before.
We introduce you to Mr. Saravanan Mathivanan of Gmsgadget and his journey through his entrepreneurial venture. It is an inspiring tale backed with enthusiasm and an ambition to succeed.
1. Before we begin, tell us about your brand, what products do you sell?
Gmsgadget boasts to give the best price for all its products with a very fast delivery across the nation and our motto is to “Get even closer to our customers” and we are working on it. We sell LED TV, Plasma TV, mobiles in both feature and smart category, kitchen appliances, and also furniture as of now.
2. What’s the story behind you taking the plunge into e-commerce and starting your own online store?
We were selling offline in retail stores. We have two showrooms and we were selling on market places like eBay. We used all probabilities in the market places to sell our products. Believe it or not, it was 12 actually and we sold many products per day from our inventory.
One nice evening I was thinking about “What are we doing?” We earn but nothing more than that. So, we planned to create a banner of ours to market our own products and this is the history.
3. What all online marketing channels have you dabbled into since you started, say blog or social media, etc. that have helped increase your sales? Which ones have shown you maximum returns?
Good one, in gmsgadget we have one thing in our mind, which is “we work for our customer and not for nothing else.” We first used Google Adwords as our marketing tool. Those were great days, we had a traffic of around 2000 per day. Great na?…. But all those were Dirty Traffic. I can recall that not even a single one was converted to sales. Later, we heard someone saying about Facebook marketing and we spent on that one through “pay per like” and develop a fake popularity for your website which will never help you go anywhere.
We also write blogs which help us get some traffic and also we go to comparison sites which is the best working solution for us.
4. Apart from your online store, what are some of your other point of sales? Say, exhibitions, retail outlets, etc. Which ones have worked best for you?
We are already very strong in retail section and we know our customers. We go for exhibitions as they drive our sales to an unexpected digit of growth. I would say, exhibitions are the best way to get promoted. IT REALLY WORKS!
5. How has the whole experience of setting up your own online store with Zepo been?
It was a nice and superb experience, it is the ticket for our future.
6. Can you tell us about 2 features on the Zepo platform that you absolutely love and can’t do without? And, 2 features that you think can do with some improvement?
Logistics partnership that Zepo has is an excellent feature and I call it as the backbone support for any online store and another one I don’t know how to name it, “the executives are wonderful”.
Now, the improvement part:
a. Should improve in direct export of inventories to the market places like Amazon or Junglee.
b. There can be a marketing bench for Zepo to let customers have their queries because it is not about opening an online store, rather it is all about staying back in for a lengthy period. Also, Zepo must give an EMI option for customers to buy a product from our site.
Now some questions for you, as an entrepreneur!
1. What were you doing before you started with gmsgadget?
I started my journey in 2006 as a salesman in Mahindra and Mahindra Scorpio division, after which I got inspired by my uncle Mr. M. G. Balan who is a giant in retail. I learned business from him and later, we started retail with name ‘GMS Electronics’ at Tiruchengode in 2009. We elaborated it to Coimbatore through my Brother Mr. Sampath Mathivanan and then we started gmsgadget.com
2. Keeping the same levels of enthusiasm every day is not easy. What keeps you inspired and motivated every day?
“The world is not sunshine or rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You and I are nobody, it’s going to hit as hard as life, but it isn’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward, that’s how winning is done.” I say these words to me always so no fed ups..
3. What are some of the decisions that have worked best for you in your business?
In Gmsgadget we change our strategies time to time. It is not about staying back in a particular forum and say yes, it is wonderful. It is all about searching. Sometimes, you say you search for nothing there you fail… Pull out that sweat of yours to the maximum level and knowledge. It is all about searching, searching and searching for your destiny.
4. If you could give one piece of advice to other Internet entrepreneurs who are trying to make money with their online store, what would it be?
I ask you “from where have you been inspired to come into this?” Success is not in the result. Revenue is a result, success is not. It is a process, it is survival, surviving difficulties and pain is success. Success is all about either you are in or out and how much pain you bear and difficulties you break. There it lies. That is success and is not money. Money comes the way of your pains and difficulties.
I believe in Ayrton Sennas words ‘winning is a god given right for me’ For me winning is getting hit harder. I accept the pain and I work again.
1) Never believe on anything either it could be Google or something else.2) Get set to work on anything at any time
3) Never say I don’t know, try to learn that whatsoever it might be.
4) Don’t estimate sales or revenue, know how much you learn today.
5) Never set short term targets. Make a very big long target because your destination is still far away from you.
6) Nobody could let your site get listed in Googles first page in your first month itself. So, don’t get betrayed.
7) Work with analytics daily.
8) Never give up, because today the retail contribution in online is less than 0.5% only. The market has not still raised to thee estimated long target.
9) Money alone is not the result. Brand building is also a wonderful result you get without your knowledge it will make your future glow.
10) And, online selling is not money. It is brand building for the future. It’s all about investing your present in order to take your future.
Thank you Mr. Saravanan for your wonderful time and motivating answers. We wish you all the very best!
Feeling inspired? Well, you can be an awesome entrepreneur too! Give Zepo a try and start your online store in the next 5 mins.