Four Friends Dreamt of Sharing their Love for High End Fashion- In Conversation with Shefali of Cupcakes and Closet
Surviving in the eCommerce market in India is not a child’s play. Without proper care and effort, it becomes easy for for any online store to get lost in the crowd. That is why Cupcakes and Closet, a women’s apparel and accessories store, deserves a lot of credit. Starting out as a Facebook page 3 years ago, the unique brand today gets more than 500 visitors a day and has a following of more than 48,000 fans.
We have a chat with the founder of the eCommerce store, Aneesha Dalal, about her entrepreneurial journey so far. Keep reading to know more about the energetic team that runs the show at Cupcakes and Closet!
Let’s start with a few questions about Cup Cakes and Closet.
1. Before we begin, tell us about your brand, Cupcakes and Closet? What products do you sell?
Cupcakes and Closet is an online retail store that provides an unprecedented selection of today’s fashion at a great value. Our website has a traffic of over 500 visitors a day and our Facebook page has a following of ~48000. Cupcakes and Closet is for young fashion conscious women who want access to a wide selection of current fashion trends at an affordable price. We breathe fashion & trends and bring a new selection of products every three days. Cupcakes and Closet retails clothes, bags, swimwear and accessories for young women between the age of 16-28.
2. What’s the story behind you taking the plunge into e-commerce and starting your own online store?
We were one of the first few to start using Facebook as a platform for selling products. We started off as a fashion blog on Facebook. Initially we uploaded an album of hand picked products and put them up on our Facebook page. The collection received an overwhelming response and was sold out in a day. That moment we realized that our venture has immense potential and we should give business a serious thought. We functioned on Facebook for a year and a half, with as many as 100 collections without any website of our own. Now, we have a team of 5 people along with the two of us who work together at an office in Opera House, Mumbai.
3. What all online marketing channels have you dabbled into since you started, say blog or social media, etc that have helped increase your sales? Which ones have shown you maximum returns?
Along with our website, we use a lot of social media platforms to increase sales. We have a blog which is updated on a regular basis, we hold contests on twitter as well as Facebook. Our main following and customer base has always been Facebook since we started off there, so our maximum returns are also through Facebook.
4. Apart from your online store, what are some of your other point of sales? Say, exhibitions, retail outlets, etc. Which ones have worked best for you?
None. Our major points of sale have been our online store and Facebook.
5. How has the whole experience of setting up your own online store with Zepo been?
Setting up an online store with Zepo has worked like a breeze. Not co-ordinating with the ever-busy website designers is an absolute boon to anyone who understands the delays that take place during the construction of a website. Initially, Zepo was slow with responses and handling complaints but for the past two months, they have responded very promptly.
6. Can you tell us about 2 features on the Zepo platform that you absolutely love and can’t do without? And 2 features that you think can do with some improvement?
Two features we can’t do without:
1. Live chat.
2. Discount coupons.
Two features we need improvement for:
1. Search feature: It is not very accurate currently and fast.
2. Website banner: We currently cant upload more than one GIF image.
Now some questions for you, as an entrepreneur!
1. What were you doing before you started with Cupcakes and Closet?
Aneesha Dalal: Completed my engineering and was working with a consulting firm in Mumbai.
Nirali Malji: Studying law.
2. Keeping the same levels of enthusiasm every day is not easy. What keeps you inspired and motivated every day?
Our goal is to create an “ASOS” in India. Just seeing their website, reading about them, inspires us and gives us a mental push. Also, those little emails from our customers saying they love our collection and products really motivates us.
3. If you could give one piece of advice to other Internet entrepreneurs who are trying to make money with their online store, what would it be?
Follow your instincts and pursue your interests. When you are young now you can afford to take risks which you won’t be able to take later on in life. Take that extra step and go that extra mile because it will definitely pay off.
You can check out their wonderful services on Cupcakesandcloset.in and connect with them on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you Aneesha for your wonderful time and motivating answers. We wish you all the very best!
Feeling inspired and motivated? You can be an awesome entrepreneur too! Give Zepo a try and start your online store in the next 5 mins.