Still Ignoring Mobile? Key Mobile Commerce Strategies for Online Stores
“Fifteen months ago, 5% of Snapdeal’s sales were made by phones. Today it is 65% — growth of 3,000% in the last year. My sense is that over the next two years, over 80% of orders will be on mobile phones,” says Kunal Bahl, CEO of Snapdeal. 45% of the transactions from mobile were made via the app, while the remaining 55% were made from the mobile site.
Mobile is increasingly the go-to device for online purchases. Flipkart expects sales from mobile devices, which is currently at 20%, to surge by more than 50% in a year. Myntra expects its mobile sales to soar from the current 50% to over 70% driven by the launch of their mobile app.
Traditionally smartphones were used only for research (with the transaction being completed on a desktop or offline), but consumers are increasingly comfortable with making the transaction on mobile itself. This trend is driven by faster mobile internet connections, better trust and more seamless experiences.
Unfortunately, 95% of today’s ecommerce sites are not optimized for mobile and tablets. For small and medium e-tailers to follow the growth pattern of the ecommerce giants such as Snapdeal, Flipkart and Myntra, they need to “optimize for mobile” as well.
How do you “optimize for mobile”?
1. Load fast: Mobile shoppers are impatient and demanding. To address their impulsive purchase decisions and their expectation of instant gratification, the mobile site needs to load quickly. Research shows that for every 1-second delay in page load time, there is a 7% reduction in conversion rate.
2. Look good: Ecommerce merchants need to build trust with their customers. Customers are unsure if the merchant will deliver on time, whether he will charge the right amount, whether the product is genuine and several other such uncertainties. One of the most impactful ways to build trust is by having an appealing mobile site. The cross-page experience needs to be consistent, the text and images need to be pleasingly aligned and the navigation needs to be intuitive.
3. Seamless checkout flow: One of the biggest inhibitors for converting traffic into sales is the checkout flow. Is the “Add to Cart” button prominent? Does your cart page allow modifications? Can the user checkout as a guest? Does the payment page look trustworthy? These are all questions that could be potential barriers for your customer to make a purchase.
Mobile Sites: The Bare Essentials
- A universal floating menu that can be accessed from anywhere in the site
- Category hierarchy support
- Filter & Sort in the category pages to enhance product discovery
- Swipe-based image display on the product page
- Clear CTA and Pricing below the product image
- Consistent cart and checkout page
Mobile is a very promising channel for growth in sales, but it is also challenging to build a site that addresses whimsical mobile shoppers. Zepo has partnered with MartMobi to provide mobile storefronts to its merchants. Sign ups are easy and merchants go live in less than a day on mobile.
Are you an online seller who wants a mobile site for your online store? Give Zepo a try and launch your online store with us now.